On April 28, Willie Nelson will add to his expansive catalog with a new album, God’s Problem Child, released via Legacy Recordings. Featuring 13 new recordings from Willie and a host of marquee musicians, the album is his first of new material since 2014’s Band of Brothers (not including his Grammy-nominated 2016 release Summertime: Willie Nelson Sings Gershwin). The LP will be released a day before Nelson’s 84th birthday on April 29.
Seven of the songs on this new album were co-written by Nelson and his longtime producer/collaborator Buddy Cannon, and its title track — written by Jamey Johnson and Tony Joe White — features vocals from Leon Russell, who passed away last year (making this maybe his final recording ever).
Thematically, God’s Problem Child touches on a number of hot-button issues swirling around the United States these days:
An album that reflects on mortality while marveling at the beauty and absurdity of it all, God’s Problem Child finds Willie Nelson at one of the creative peaks of his career, writing and singing with the seasoned wit and wisdom that can only come from the kind of life he’s living. One of Willie’s new songs, “Still Not Dead,” pokes fun at the many exaggerated reports of his demise he’s heard over the years while “Delete and Fast-Forward” is Willie’s unabashed analysis of the 2016 United States elections and how to deal with the aftermath.
Its final track, “He Won’t Ever Be Gone,” is a fitting tribute to the late Merle Haggard, a friend and colleague of Nelson’s whose last album was 2015’s Django and Jimmie — an LP recorded with Nelson.
An array of pre-order packages for God’s Problem Child are currently available over at PledgeMusic.
Here’s the album’s track listing:
1. “Little House On The Hill” (Lyndel Rhodes)
2. “Old Timer” (Donnie Fritz / Lenny LeBlanc)
3. “True Love” (Willie Nelson / Buddy Cannon)
4. “Delete And Fast Forward” (Willie Nelson / Buddy Cannon)
5. “A Woman’s Love” (Mike Reid / Sam Hunter)
6. “Your Memory Has A Mind Of Its Own” (Willie Nelson / Buddy Cannon)
7. “Butterfly” (Sonny Throckmorton / Mark Sherrill)
8. “Still Not Dead” (Willie Nelson / Buddy Cannon)
9. “God’s Problem Child” (Jamey Johnson / Tony Joe White)
10. “It Gets Easier” (Willie Nelson / Buddy Cannon)
11. “Lady Luck” (Willie Nelson / Buddy Cannon)
12. “I Made A Mistake” (Willie Nelson / Buddy Cannon)
13. “He Won’t Ever Be Gone” (Gary Nicholson)