Willie Nelson just keeps truckin’ — and on April 24, the 86-year-old legend will release his 70th studio album. Yes, that’s right, seventieth.
First Rose of Spring was announced on Friday, and will be Nelson’s 14th release on Legacy Recordings. It’ll come less than a year after his most recent record, Ride Me Back Home, which came out in June 2019 and won the legendary singer his 10th Grammy when it picked up the Best Country Solo Performance Grammy Award.
The album news came with the premiere of the record’s title track — watch that below:
Via the news release, First Rose of Spring features two new songs from Nelson and collaborator Buddy Cannon, in addition to tributes to various pop/country songwriters over the years:
Premiering 11 new Willie Nelson studio performances and featuring original artwork created by Willie’s son Micah, First Rose Of Spring finds Willie working again with longtime friend and producer Buddy Cannon and debuts two new songs co-written by the pair: “Blue Star” and “Love Just Laughed.”
Alongside his new compositions on the album, Willie pays musical tribute to a variety of pop and country songwriters and performers, interpreting songs penned by Toby Keith (“Don’t Let The Old Man In”), Billy Joe Shaver (“We Are The Cowboys”) and Pete Graves (“Just Bummin’ Around” – a song recorded by Jimmy Dean, Dean Martin and others).
Here’s the album’s track listing:
- “First Rose Of Spring” (Randy Houser, Allen Shamblin & Mark Beeson)
- “Blue Star” (Willie Nelson & Buddy Cannon)
- “I’ll Break Out Again Tonight” (Sanger “Whitey”Shafer & Doodle Owens)
- “Don’t Let The Old Man In” (Toby Keith)
- “Just Bummin’ Around’ (Pete Graves)
- “Our Song” (Chris Stapleton)
- “We Are The Cowboys” (Billy Joe Shaver)
- “Stealing Home “(Marla Cannon-Goodman, Casey Beathard & Don Sampson)
- “I’m The Only Hell My Mama Ever Raise”d (Wayne Kemp, Bobby Borchers & Mack Vickery)
- “Love Just Laughed” (Willie Nelson & Buddy Cannon)
- “Yesterday When I Was Young” (Hier Encore) (Charles Aznavour & Herbert Kretzmer)