Van Morrison Shares Anti-Lockdown Song ‘Born to Be Free’ – ‘The New Normal is Not Normal’

Categories:Latest News

Rock Cellar Magazine
SHARE.

Earlier this month, Van Morrison made his perspective known: He’s very opposed to government-imposed lockdowns regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, so much so that he planned a series of “anti-lockdown protest songs” after penning a “Save Live Music” essay urging a return to full-capacity live concert performances.

Today, the Irish singer/songwriting legend shared the first, “Born to Be Free,” which takes aim at its subject matter in plain terms:

Don’t need the government cramping my style
Give them an inch, they take a mile
Take you in with a phony smile
Wouldn’t you agree
The new normal is not normal
It’s no kind of normal at all
Everyone seems to have amnesia
Just trying to remember the Berlin Wall

There are two more songs planned in this series for release in the coming weeks.

“I’m not telling people what to do or think, the government is doing a great job of that already. It’s about freedom of choice, I believe people should have the right to think for themselves,” said Van Morrison of these three songs.

Meanwhile, furor caused by Van Morrison’s hardline public stance drew the ire of Northern Ireland’s health minister, Robin Swann, who told Rolling Stone, “We expected better from him … Some of what is he saying is actually dangerous. It could encourage people not to take coronavirus seriously. If you see it all as a big conspiracy, then you are less likely to follow the vital public health advice that keeps you and others safe.”

Swan added:

“He’s chosen to attack attempts to protect the old and vulnerable in our society. It’s all bizarre and irresponsible. I only hope no one takes him seriously. He’s no guru, no teacher.”

Comments

• cher says:

Never was a big fan of Van Morrison. Now even less of a fan. I guess over 200,00 deaths means nothing to him. I would go to a show of his if you gave me free tickets.

• Gary says:

This is the first time I’ve ever been disappointed in Van Morrison. I’ll continue to enjoy his music, but not his medical advice.

• cynthia kennedy says:

VAN’S THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All you naysayers need to look at the percentages!
    Thank you, Van! Even more of a Fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• V says:

All it took was a little fear and a lot of propaganda to turn the liberals into bootlickers like the right wingers.

• DB says:

What an old fool. What about the Freedom of us all to not be affected and infected by those he wants to influence and bring together at large concerts! For what I ask: his vanity or for this bankroll. I’ve always liked his music but that artist has been replaced by a self important has been. Too bad.

• Jon F says:

It’s not 200,00. Many of the elderly with Covid died of other causes such as heart disease, complications of diabetes, emphysema, stroke, etc, but if they tested positive for Covid, it was called a a Covid death. Likewise, if someone who was murdered on the street, as long as they tested positive on post mortem, were also listed as a covid death.

Note: USA has the lowest death per 100 covid cases in the world: 2.2 (Mexico is 10.0)
    If Biden were president over a million would have died.
    He called Trump racist for implementing the travel ban on 1/31/20.

• Rabbbit says:

It is what it is. The Political Flue. Make Fear and the Weak will cave to the government. From the Past. Learn!!!

• SHARE.