Brinsley Schwarz — The Man, Not the Band — is Back with Something to Say (and a New Album, ‘Tangled’)

Brinsley Schwarz (Photo: Fretsore Records)

In many ways, Brinsley Schwarz were the UK’s version of the Band. The progenitors of “pub rock” across the pond, the band, which featured Nick Lowe on bass and vocals, keyboardist Bob Andrews and drummer Billy Rankin — and later augmented by Ian Gomm on guitar and vocals — had evolved from the 1960s pop… Continue reading Brinsley Schwarz — The Man, Not the Band — is Back with Something to Say (and a New Album, ‘Tangled’)

Elvis Costello: ‘The Complete Armed Forces’ Deluxe Edition Announced, Out 11/6

Armed Forces, the 1979 studio album from Elvis Costello, his third overall and second with the Attractions, ranks highly among the iconic singer/songwriter‘s career achievements. Featuring now-classic singles such as “Accidents Will Happen,” “Green Shirt,” “Oliver’s Army” and “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding,” it’s one of Costello’s most definitive album, and on… Continue reading Elvis Costello: ‘The Complete Armed Forces’ Deluxe Edition Announced, Out 11/6

Sharon Van Etten and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) Premiere At-Home Video for Their Cover of ‘(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding’

Recently, singer/songwriter Sharon Van Etten and Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age teamed up for a minimalist cover of “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding, the classic 1974 song written by Nick Lowe and later covered by the likes of Elvis Costello and Curtis Stigers. Their collaborative cover now has a… Continue reading Sharon Van Etten and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) Premiere At-Home Video for Their Cover of ‘(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding’

Top 11 Telephone Songs

This month, enjoy a curated list of some of the most noteworthy “telephone songs” ever recorded — that is, songs all about the phone and our communal relationship with it! “A telephone survey says that 51 percent of college students drink until they pass out at least once a month. The other 49 percent didn’t… Continue reading Top 11 Telephone Songs