John Fogerty Says He Finds the Trump Campaign Using ‘Fortunate Son’ at Events ‘Confounding to Say the Least’

Categories:Latest News

Rock Cellar Magazine
SHARE.

John Fogerty took to his Instagram page to share a video message regarding something that popped up in the news late last week.

On Thursday, President Trump arrived at a campaign event in Michigan to the sounds of Fogerty’s Creedence Clearwater Revival classic “Fortunate Son,” which elicited strong reactions online, given the song’s lyrical themes:

John Fogerty shared a video message on Friday afternoon discussing his reaction to hearing the song used in such a manner, saying:

“Recently, the president has been using my song, ‘Fortunate Son,’ for his political rallies, which I find confounding to say the least,” noting that the song’s basis was rooted in Fogerty’s personal experience in the military.

“Back in those days we still had a draft and something I was very upset about was the fact that people of privilege, in other words rich people, or people that had a position could use that to avoid the draft and not be taken into the military,” he says in his video message. “I found it very upsetting that such a thing could occur, and that’s why I wrote ‘Fortunate Son.’”

After quoting the song’s opening lyrics (Some folks are born, made to wave the flag/Ooh they’re red, white and blue/But when the band plays Hail to the Chief/they point the cannon at you), Fogerty said this:

“That is exactly what happened recently in Lafayette Park when the president decided to take a walk across the park, he cleared out the area using federal troops so that he could stand in front of St. John’s Church with a Bible. It’s a song I could have written now. And so I find it confusing … that the president has chosen to use my song for his political rallies, when in fact it seems like he is probably the Fortunate Son.”

Here’s Fogerty’s full video message:

Fogerty’s Instagram post also suggests fans watch a recent upload from Fogerty’s Factory — his family band with his children, Shane, Kelsy and Tyler — in which they tackle the classic CCR track:

As for the use of music at Trump campaign events, this is the latest in an ongoing series of similar circumstances:

And so on.

Comments

• James Calhoun says:

I like Trump and see nothing with him using these songs. The artist should be happy also. They are getting free exposure for their music that many young have never heard. Do get over it John. Be grateful he likes your music.

• Rachel says:

I don’t think Donald Trump listens to anything except himself.

• bocefus13 says:

These assholes should be happy a real American uses their music. These ages out hippies are Communist through and through. I love CCR, Petty, but this is grade school antics.

• Marie says:

I don’t like Trump and I don’t like him using classic rock to try and trick baby boomers, Gen X, Millenials or Gen Z-ers that he is like us. He is not like us. I support John Fogerty speaking out and encourage him to speak truth when it is appropriate as he has in this case. Besides, John doesn’t need whatever exposure he got at that rally. He has plenty of fans digging his music. I really loved the you tube releases with him and his awesome sons and daughter, especially his birthday celebration (Centerfield) and of course the dog by the fire pit. Keep on rock and rolling on the river!

• Pat says:

These artist don’t need free advertising. trump is a thieft. He doesn’t like to pay for the use of these great artist hard work. He would want to get paid.

• Timothy Flyte says:

Once a song is published , any performer or writer should be happy to have it being heard.
    You can’t stop people from enjoying the music and you can’t make people agree with your point of view in order to enjoy it. If you want to say who can and can’t hear it then keep it to yourself and don’t release it. To many rich musicians have become the rich , the hated enemy. John’s own kids are now fortunate children. The draft ended years ago , but maybe some of these young people rioting would do better to have some drill sgt., kicking their ass ?

• J y says:

I like Fogerty, but he’s playing the hypocrite role on the one. Read his autobiography…..he writes about how when he was drafted the games he played to avoid being sent to Vietnam. He got himself put into the reserves.

• David Ashley says:

How come they keep showing the same thing build a bridge and get over it move on, quit beating in the ground come on man get with the program wake up !!!!

• SHARE.