On June 21, a compilation paying tribute to the musical contributions of the late Harry Nilsson will be released. This Is The Town: A Tribute to Nilsson (Volume 2) (pre-order here)is the sequel to the original tribute album released in 2014, and comes at a pretty relevant time.
Not only was Harry Nilsson an important songwriter, but his music has undergone a bit of a renaissance lately thanks in large part to the Netflix series Russian Doll, which features “Gotta Get Up” heavily in its first season.
Harry Nilsson Tribute Album, 'This Is The Town (Vol. 2)' is now available for pre-order! Only 300 copies of limited edition orange vinyl available. Feat. @cheaptrick @ValleyQueenBand @MikaelaDavis @arcirismusic @laurenruthward & more –> https://t.co/PM7mPBNw2u pic.twitter.com/Pr8ebYohPr
— Royal Potato Family (@royalpotato) May 24, 2019
That song isn’t represented on this new compilation album — it was covered by Annie Nilsson in the first edition — but nonetheless, folks are interested in his music right now.
Here’s Cheap Trick’s rendition of “Ambush,” taken from the new album:
Mikaela Davis tried her hand at “Take 54”, the first track on Nilsson’s debut album Son of Schmilsson:
And Valley Queen lent a hand with “I Guess The Lord Must Be In New York City”:
Here’s the full track listing:
1. Take 54 – Mikaela Davis
2. Wasting My Time – Etienne de Rocher
3. Ambush – Cheap Trick
4. This Could Be The Night – Bart & The Bedazzled
5. City Life – Lauren Ruth Ward
6. Old Forgotten Soldier – Invisible Familiars
7. I Guess The Lord Must Be In New York City – Valley Queen
8. Open Your Window – Belle-Skinner
9. Daddy’s Song – Martha Wainwright
10. Driving Along – Adam Matta
11. I’ll Never Leave You – Nina Violet
12. Together – Ben Fields
13. Turn On Your Radio – Arc Iris
14. The Puppy Song – Phoebe Siegal