Spend An Hour with Mike Love of the Beach Boys (RockCellarTV Interview)

Spend An Hour with Mike Love of the Beach Boys (RockCellarTV Interview)

Mike Love: you know the name, and you definitely know the music. The Beach Boys are an institution, with their rich catalog of hit songs and classic albums standing the test of time and influencing artists the world over.

Love recently released Unleash the Love, a double-album of original material and re-imagined Beach Boys songs. He was also kind enough to spare an hour recently for the latest installment of RockCellarTV, speaking one-on-one with Rock Cellar’s Ken Sharp at a studio in Los Angeles.

And when we say ‘an hour,’ we mean it: This is a five-part video interview in which Love talks about a number of topics: his life and upbringing, accomplishments, working alongside Brian Wilson and much more. Enjoy it all below, and remember: becoming a Rock Cellar subscriber unlocks access to all five interview segments (and yes, there’s a free subscription option too). And, if you like this, be sure to revisit our previous RockCellarTV editions with Ringo Starr, Todd Rundgren, Steve Lukather and Action Skulls.

Here’s Part 1 of the chat:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

and Part 5:

8 Responses to "Spend An Hour with Mike Love of the Beach Boys (RockCellarTV Interview)"

1. Phil   December 23, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Thanks for this good interview Ken ~

And kudos for getting Mike to comment on It’ OK❗️
    Like, Little Girl I Once Knew in the 60’s, a neglected song from their great catalog.

Phil
    PrayForSurfBlog.blogspot.com

2. Henry Webb   January 2, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Just love the Beach Boys. Hope a new album becomes reality with all the original member s left. Forever a Beach Boys fan.

3. Stacy   January 2, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I just enjoy your music so much.

I also saw the making of Pet Sound’s and boy was it good.

4. Pat Alt   January 4, 2018 at 10:28 pm

Great interview. Mike does such a wonderful job with details in his answers. Was kinda surprised that he didn’t mention other known artist that have rode the wave with them like Blondie Chaplin, Captain and ToniTennille. Very interesting religion and faith answers.Kudos to you both.

5. Larry Hart   January 10, 2018 at 8:12 am

I met Mike Love backstage about 20 years ago. For a man I have admired my whole life and grew up with the Beach Boys. Was taken aback by his kindness and genuine appreciation for fans. Fame has not affected his love for people.

6. Larry Hart   January 10, 2018 at 8:15 am

Thanx for everything you share with us about Music Legends we care about hearing about!!

7. Nancy Whalen   January 13, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Loved this interview…50 years later I still love the music…and I know all the words.

8. jim   April 28, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Mike Love could be difficult as well as Brian Wilson could be difficult — However, Mike’s contribution to the songs has always been under-rated if not ignored — He added the final touch to “Good Vibrations” which made it an icon even before the Beatles did Sgt. Poopers and his fingerprints are all over “Get Around” as well as many others — Hell, all those guys were great in their own right — Would “Help me Rhonda” be the same without Al singing it? — And the Angelic voice of Brian’s little brother which was ever bit as good as Brian’s in his prime, as well as being the stabilizing glue to hold the unit together — And whoever put that perfect lead break to “Don’t Worry Baby”, simple as it was, it was perfection (was it Glen Campbell or was it Carl Wilson?) — Despite any objection from Brian Wilson cultists, I compare the team of Brian Wilson/Mike Love to that of Lennon/McCartney, who were never quite as good without the other being somewhere in the vicinity — I think that Mike understood this, but Brian seemed to fight against this understanding despite results to the contrary — Mike was also wrong sometimes wrong ( didn’t the original version of “Hang on to your Ego” really need to be said instead of Love’s watered down pop spiritual Love re-lyric version on the Pet Sounds re-titled “I know there’s an Answer”?) — I think Frank Black late of the Pixies at the time with his 1992 cover of “Hang on to your Ego” made my point perfectly clear. — What can you say tho’ but typical ego problems within the group with Brian taking way too much LSD and Mike Love probably not taking enough.