Rest in Peace, Tom Petty: 1950-2017

Rest in Peace, Tom Petty: 1950-2017

UPDATE 9:00 PM PT: Tom Petty has died at 66, it was confirmed by his manager late Monday:

“On behalf of the Tom Petty family we are devastated to announce the untimely death of of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty. He suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu in the early hours of this morning and was taken to UCLA Medical Center but could not be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40pm PT surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends.”

Original story:

According to TMZ and other sources on Monday, Tom Petty was rushed to a hospital in Southern California after being found unconscious Sunday night. Original reports confirmed his death at age 66 after arriving at the hospital, but subsequent reports have amended the details.

Update 12:26 PM PT: TMZ reported that Petty was taken of life support.

Update 1:55 PM PT: TMZ has since updated its original update with word that the LAPD cannot confirm Petty’s death just yet; though he “is not expected to live much longer.”

Petty and the Heartbreakers just played a trio of massive shows at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles. Here’s video from that night as a tribute:

News of Petty’s passing prompted reflections from all over the music spectrum, as you’d imagine. Such was his far-reaching influence.

18 Responses to "Rest in Peace, Tom Petty: 1950-2017"

1. Justine   October 2, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I was fond of him and his music. I was there near the beginning of his rise to stardom. May he rest well in the Big Sleep. ♡♡♡

2. James Walsh   October 2, 2017 at 1:14 pm

The nicest guy in Rock and Roll Music ever ! RIP TP.

3. Aviv Naamani   October 2, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Consistently good songwriter and performer. We lost one of the good ones.

4. Scott Gibson   October 2, 2017 at 1:15 pm

We love you Tom, RIP

5. ron jacobs   October 2, 2017 at 1:19 pm

words can’t express the shock and sorrow

roll another joint….

6. Sheryl Berger   October 2, 2017 at 1:22 pm

This is HORRIBLE NEWS….Plzz say it Aint So!!
    I, like multi-millions of us adored him, his music and i have heard only Lovely stories of friends that knew him & worked with him over the years..
    Such a loss – Sitting here trying and crying in shock & utter disbelief
    Rest in Peace & may your spirit soar

7. Nick Frese   October 2, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Oh, this is just horrible news! Too stinking young!

8. Donna Federspiel   October 2, 2017 at 1:32 pm

We will miss you so much Tom. God bless you and may you rest in peace and fly with the Angels. We love you very much, forever and always.

9. David Maceira   October 2, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Can’t believe we’ve lost Tom Petty. Feels like “I’m running down a dream.” Many great memories in my past set to Tom’s music. My condolences to his family and many friends. RIP Tom.

10. Shirley Krueger   October 2, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I’m glad i got to see him perform as often as i had. His music will live on forever. My favorite song is the waitingand ill cherish that along with others. Rest in peace

11. Kimberlysz   October 2, 2017 at 2:59 pm

I’m so sad–I’ve been a fan of his since the mid ’70’s. Peace and Love

12. Al Schweder   October 2, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I am so sorry for his family, fans and band mates. Way to young. Man I liked his music a lot. RIP Tom.

13. nick olivo   October 2, 2017 at 4:44 pm

A good human being who used words and a guitar to make our hearts smile. A MusicMaker of many roads. Thanks for some of those journeys, Tom.

14. DENIEL EDWARDS   October 2, 2017 at 6:04 pm

A VERY SAD LOSS AND IRREPLACEABLE ARTIST,SO MANY WILL MISS HIM WHAT A GREAT TALENT AND NICE PERSON,RIP MY BROTHER

15. Peter J lee   October 3, 2017 at 6:27 am

I was shocked to hear of Tom’s passing. Many times it seems he was picking tunes from my private tune collection for his Buried Treasure show. My favourite video of Tom was when he sat in with C,S&N when they did ‘For what it’s worth’ at the 97 rock hall induction. He played lead guitar along with stills and was amazing. Rest In Peace Tom

16. Ron Warren Ganderton   October 3, 2017 at 9:47 am

condolences to tom`s family and fellow band members.

17. J.Stein   October 3, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Irreplaceable artist; inspirational music,connected with the common man and his audience despite being a super star. A guitar lover and collector; love those Rickenbackers, Teles, Gibsons- especially the acoustics he used. Thankfully he left us a treasure of recordings. R.I.P. Tom

18. Deb In Detroit Suberbs   October 4, 2017 at 8:03 am

Mr. Tom Petty…what a gem of seriously unique and talented music. They don’t make them like him anymore. Enjoyed the concert in DETROIT! Ny sincere condolences to his entire family and friends.