Update: From Los Angeles radio station KROQ, minutes ago:
Coachella announcement coming soon.
The lineup for this year’s Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival still hasn’t been released, even though it’s less than three months away – so we wanted to provide a bit of a rundown of what the latest buzz is surrounding Goldenvoice’s mega-fest.
First off, there WAS a visually impressive teaser video released yesterday pertaining the fest, marking the first time Coachella has posted anything regarding this year’s festival since back when layaway tickets sold out:
Light-up sharks, things bursting to life out of the barren desert surface – this does seem to be saying something about life springing up out of the desert (perhaps an allusion to Coachella waking up from dormancy for a big announcement soon)…
But still, no lineup has materialized yet, nor has any cryptic post about when music fans can expect one.
As for rumors:
- An LA Times article yesterday refuted an earlier “leak” that said Justin Timberlake and Daft Punk were headlining the festival.
- David Bowie remains a mysterious, but intriguing guess – officially he doesn’t plan on playing any live dates but that seems open to interpretation.
- The Rolling Stones are also apparently out of the running, too.
- It made sense to expect Pearl Jam’s impending announcements to have something to do with Coachella (since the band has never played it), but their news turned out to be shows in Chicago and Ontario instead.
- Coachella’s website remains decked out with 2012-related information (after getting past its landing page which features the video above).
- Coachella’s Facebook page removed a photo gallery entitled “Lineup”, as it pertained to last year’s crop of acts on the bill.
That said, we’re getting to the point where the official lineup reveal is imminent – in past years it’s taken Goldenvoice to the end of January to get things finalized and ready to go, and a glance at the calendar implies that things must be coming soon…
So stay tuned.