Photos of Real “Honeymooners” TV Show Locations!

ARTICLE AND PHOTOGRAPHS BY FRANK MASTROPOLO

Though it ran for only one season, 1955-56, The Honeymooners remains one of the pivotal sitcoms in television history.

Jackie Gleason played his most famous character — bus driver Ralph Kramden — who torments his long-suffering wife Alice (Audrey Meadows) with get-rich-quick schemes that never succeed.  The Kramdens live in a dingy apartment in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn; upstairs reside their best friends, wacky sewer worker Ed Norton (Art Carney) and his wife Trixie (Joyce Randolph).

Gleason and the show’s writers liberally salted the scripts with both fictional and real-life spots in Brooklyn and Manhattan.  Many real addresses are mentioned; their names give viewers a flavor of life in 1950s New York City. But the show was entirely filmed before an audience at a theater in midtown Manhattan; all the exteriors were stage sets. Which made us wonder… what did those spots really look like? So here are our Top 10 Locations from The Honeymooners.

1. Where It All Began: 328 Chauncey Street, Brooklyn

When he conceived The Honeymooners, Jackie Gleason insisted that the Kramden apartment be modeled after one of his boyhood homes in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn: 328 Chauncey Street, apartment 3-A. “The place was dull. The bulbs weren’t very bright. The surroundings were very bare,” Gleason said of the tenement apartment. Ralph Kramden’s address is also 328 Chauncey St., though he lives in the more Brooklyn-sounding Bensonhurst.

2. Alice Gets a Babysitting Job at 383 Himrod Street in Brooklyn

When Ralph objects to the cost of the telephone she’s had installed, Alice decides that she’ll pay for it herself. Her idea: babysitting behind Ralph’s back. A neighbor suggests a babysitting job “only three blocks” from Chauncey St.; the Bartfelds’ home at 383 Himrod Street. The address is actually two miles away from the Kramdens.

3. That Leads to a Second Job at 465 Van Buren Street

Alice does so well that Mr. Bartfeld recommends her to his pal Harvey Wohlstetter, who lives at 465 Van Buren Street. Ralph inadvertently overhears part of the men’s conversation and believes Alice is cheating on him. That evening, the Wohlstetters leave Alice with Harvey Jr. asleep in the bedroom. Soon jealous Ralph, in full Raccoon regalia, storms in and demands that Harvey come out of the bedroom. Ralph is shocked when it’s Harvey, Jr. who emerges. The kid is equally surprised; spying Ralph’s fur hat, he says, “Gee, I never knew Davy Crockett was so fat!”

4. Manhattan’s Gotham Bus Company, 48th Street and 9th Avenue

One night Ralph runs into big mouth Bill Davis, an old boyfriend of Alice’s, who brags about how well he’s doing. Ralph counters by claiming he “runs” the fictional Gotham Bus Company (Norton helpfully adds, “He’s in the driver’s seat!”). When Bill pressures Ralph for a tour of the depot the next day, Ralph accedes and provides its address, 48th Street and Ninth Avenue. Today there’s no sign there was ever a bus depot on the block, though there is a restaurant on the corner named Traffic.

5. Shooting Pool on Park Avenue

When his wife gives him a pool table as a present, Gotham Bus boss Mr. Marshall asks Ralph and Norton to come to his home at 1149 Park Avenue and teach him the game. Ralph believes it’s an opportunity to win that elusive promotion but it’s Norton who impresses Mr. Marshall with his ideas – and is offered a job as Ralph’s supervisor. The tony Park Avenue town house, at 91st Street, is certainly worthy of a big shot like Marshall: it’s currently valued at more than $6 million.

6. The Sewer With the Wall Street Address

Norton one day amazes Ralph with his knowledge of high finance. When Ralph asks how he knows so much, Norton’s reply gives us a clue to his workplace: “Did you ever hear of Merrill Lynch, Fierce, Pierce & Beane? They got an office outside a downtown sewer I work in.” In the 1950s, the headquarters of investment firm Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Beane was 7 Wall Street. Could the manhole out front be where “subterranean sanitation engineer” Norton worked alongside the other “denizens of the deep”?

7. Emergency at Bushwick Hospital

When Norton is injured in a sewer explosion on Himrod Street, he’s taken to Bushwick Hospital, a real infirmary in 1955 located at Howard and Putnam Avenues. Ralph rushes to Bushwick to give Norton a blood transfusion, only to find out his pal has already been released (Art Carney ad-libbed Norton’s famous goodbye to the doctor: “Rx!”). No longer a hospital, the building today is a juvenile detention center.

8. Gleason’s HQ: The Park Sheraton Hotel, 870 Seventh Avenue

When Gleason signed with CBS to star in and produce The Honeymooners, he established Jackie Gleason Enterprises and moved into the 7-room 23rd floor penthouse suite of the Park Sheraton Hotel in Manhattan. The suite served as both Gleason’s apartment and offices for his writers. Gleason left the posh digs in 1957 but the hotel lives on as the Park Central.

9. On Stage at the Adelphi Theatre

All 39 episodes of The Honeymooners were filmed at the Adelphi Theatre, 152 West 54th Street. The Adelphi was owned by the Dumont Television Network, which used its Electronicam cameras to film the show. The Electronicam cameras shot film and television through a single lens; the show owes its high quality images to the innovative system. Soon after The Honeymooners wrapped, the playhouse was renamed the 54th Street Theater. Razed in 1970, the building is now an office tower that uses the more impressive 1325 Avenue of the Americas as its address. Look up and you’ll recognize the façade; it was used in Seinfeld as the exterior of the J. Peterman Company.

10. Ralph Kramden Immortalized: The Port Authority Bus Terminal

As a tribute to The Great One, an eight-foot-tall bronze statue of Ralph Kramden in his bus driver’s uniform stands in front of the Port Authority Bus Terminal on Eighth Avenue. Gleason, who died in 1987, never got to see this likeness, which was dedicated in 2000. Carrying his lunch pail, Kramden silently (for a change) smiles and watches as thousands of commuters stream by each day; hopefully the bus drivers earn more than Ralph’s $62-a-week. A plaque at the base reads:

Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden
Bus Driver — Raccoon Lodge Treasurer — Dreamer

Bonus! The Original Ding Dong Daddy From Dumas

In an effort to recapture their youth, Ralph invites Alice for a night of dancing and roller skating. To dress the part, Ralph sports a striped jacket, varsity sweater, saddle shoes and skimmer hat. Norton’s reaction? “You ain’t exactly no Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas.” The reference is to the hit song recorded by Phil Harris in the 1940s about a hep cat from the little town of Dumas, Texas. This version by Larry Hooper on The Lawrence Welk Show will haunt your dreams.

31 Responses to "Photos of Real “Honeymooners” TV Show Locations!"

1. Old Hippie   August 10, 2014 at 1:34 am

Ralph/Jackie would roll over in his grave if he knew that an apartment in his old house would rent for around $2500/month these days!

• Next Stop   October 6, 2017 at 5:17 am

thx. Didn’t know about the Port Authority Bus Terminal statue of our every-day American hero! He IS the man!

2. Aaron   July 30, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Great article, Frank.

3. Chuck   August 9, 2016 at 6:57 pm

I’d so love to buy any artifacts left over from the Honeymooners. Any help ? Thx Chuck

• Michael Jjurasek   April 26, 2017 at 7:54 pm

i read all the kramdens furniture is in the Brooklyn historical society. I watch the honeymooners every night, great writing, acting… All the greats, beyond words.

4. Ultrashiver   August 19, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Love this show! Makes me happy!

5. Gardner Daugherty   September 9, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Hello, I’d like to know, what happened to the actual studio space at the Adelphi Hotel that was used as the set for filming the show? And in closing, would anyone currently associated with the building even be able to point-out, as in to say,” right over there, is where the Honey Mooners Set was”?

6. Diane   September 29, 2016 at 8:08 pm

I found it very interesting to know that the addresses were real. Growing up in Brooklyn it always brings a smile on my face when I watch any episode!

7. Jerry   October 6, 2016 at 9:03 am

Is there a “honeymooners” museum with the costumes, hats, lunchbox, dishes, etc. ?

8. Albert Hartman   October 16, 2016 at 8:49 am

To Gardner Daughtery,

As the article above states, the theatre where the show was filmed was torn down in 1970.

9. Jane   November 25, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Where can I get a striped jacket like Jackie Gleason woer?

10. Mary Zalusky Luethmers   November 27, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I watch the reruns of ” The Honeymooners” whenever I get a chance!Such great acting! The actors make the characters seem real!there was never a dull moment in Ralph’s apartment! I love it when Ralph tells Alice that she’s ” the greatest”!

11. Kelly   December 20, 2016 at 8:18 pm

The apartment was not based in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn. It’s was based in the bushwick part of Brooklyn. There’s isn’t a Howard Street in bushwick. You mean himrod and Putnam. I know this because I grew up in the bushwick/Ridgewood section of Brooklyn all my life.

12. Anthony Buffone   January 28, 2017 at 8:40 pm

I enjoy watching the honeymooners.till this day i still watch it .he makes me laugh.

13. Sheila Gorman   February 22, 2017 at 5:16 pm

I love this show been watching it for years, its makes me happy and laugh over and over again, i also bought the collection box set the honeymooners when ever im depressed or blue i watch it and forget about my problems just love this show it truely was a great show. Sher

14. Ric Scott   March 31, 2017 at 4:49 pm

The Honeymooners will always keep the fans in an up beat mood. Hopefully, the show will wash away the Blues. It was the best and always will be!!

15. Joseph P Arsenault   April 18, 2017 at 11:50 am

I grew up in Lawrence, MA and the atmosphere that the show had, reminded me of when I was growing up in the 60’s – early 70’s…When all my parents and grandparents were still alive…The greatest show ever,yet to be
    duplicated….

16. Michael Jurasek   April 26, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Ralph & All the cast were as original as the “little rascals, I would give anything for any prop that was on the honeymooners……JUST GREAT!

17. Robert Anderson   May 1, 2017 at 12:22 am

Good Information. Great pictures.
    Jackie Gleason was certainly one of a kind.
    I always enjoyed his characterizations.

18. Pedro J Baez   May 1, 2017 at 1:09 am

The Honeymooners will live on through eternity. Great article.

19. Miguel   May 1, 2017 at 1:25 am

They left us with lasting memories that still ring true in our daily lives today, who isn’t a dreamer a big hearted lovable kid like Ralph, this show taught me to dream big and shoot for the moon..
    My kids are starting to enjoy the honeymooners and I hope my grand kids will too.

20. Mitch45   May 24, 2017 at 3:00 pm

“The Honeymooners” is immortal. What makes it even more amazing is that Jackie Gleason didn’t like to rehearse because he felt that it made his performance stale. His performances as Ralph Kramden were broadcast live and in one take! And he never made a mistake!!

21. Laura Chapman   July 10, 2017 at 1:18 pm

I too love the honeymooners, art carney was so funny , I watch at least 1 episode a night the 39 classics. Are my fav. Where are all the stage props, ? Any help would be appreciated. Have a wonderful day and thanks so much for the article, love it!!

22. Stevie C   July 11, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Watching The Honeymooners as I txt this. What a great show. I’m 56 and have watched these classic episodes from as far back as I can remember.
    I love the cast buy it’s Alice that really made me laugh. She kept Ralph in check. Hard to believe that it was only on for one season.

23. Dennis S.   July 17, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Great article and great comments. 62 years later and the Honeymooners is still cherished by so many. I have my 13-year old son hooked on it. As Pedro said, it will live on through eternity!

24. Dan Harrington   August 29, 2017 at 9:03 am

I have watched every episode dozens of times since I first watched them originally air. My kids and grandkids watch with me now and they love it! Gleason, Lucille Ball, and ALL the westerns were huge parts of the truly Golden Age of TV.

25. Elmo Medina   September 23, 2017 at 11:16 pm

I used to live in Brooklyn New York, Park slope area.
    Every night I would wait for my favorite tv show to come on at 11 pm after the show I would go straight to bed. I now live in Normal Illinois of cause I’m much older now but I still watch the Honeymooners. I have the 39 episodes of the show.
    I really do enjoy watching
    the show. I never get tied of watching the show.

26. ernie   October 8, 2017 at 9:21 pm

I am watching “A Woman’s Work is Never Done.”
    They said they lived at 728 Chauncey.

27. James   October 29, 2017 at 6:14 am

I saw on pawn stars that A guy was trying to sell Jackie’s car but they passed on it heck I would buy it right now and show it in car shows !!

28. gerald towne   November 5, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Hello: I always thought the Honeymooners was done at the Ed Sullivan theatre, 53rd and Broadway, as was Whats my line, and many more, as this was CBS only studio at the time.